Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Beautiful things

One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple (Psalm 27:4).

It is said that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder.’ Each of us is pleased by different things. Some men find beauty in a tuned and polished antique car. Other men are captivated by long legs and blonde hair. Some women are drawn to the work of a favorite fashion designer. Other women find delight in a tastefully decorated home.

Babies come with all sorts of faces, but it is a rare mother who doesn’t think that her baby outshines all the rest. A man who loves his wife finds her attractive regardless of what she’s wearing, and doesn’t care about the changes brought about by pregnancy or advancing age. A photographer can find beauty where most people don’t notice anything out of the ordinary. A sculptor can see the potential for something magnificent in an ugly piece of stone.

Where do you see beauty? Is it in the smell of fresh coffee first thing in the morning? Is it the smile of a loved one as you meet each other for a date? Does your heart swell with joy when listening to classical music, or do your spirits lift at the down-home sound of country bluegrass?

We all have a desire for beauty in our lives. Each of us longs for a perfect picture to hang in the living room or at the office. Each of us wants our home to be filled with a pleasing scent, whether it be cut flowers, fresh baked bread, or the smell of well-aged books. Each of us hungers for beautiful sounds, whether it be birds singing, children laughing, or chimes tinkling in the wind. Most people have some beautiful place that they have always dreamed of visiting someday.

There are beautiful things I long to experience, but haven’t so far. I want to visit heaven. I want to hear the singing of angels. I want to see the beautiful earth God has promised to build when this world is destroyed, a world untouched by decay, waste, or death. Most of all, I want to see my Savior’s face. I want to look into Jesus’ eyes and see His love for me reflected in them. I can’t think of anything that could be more beautiful than that.

Blog Top Sites
Blog Directory & Search engine
Blog Directory