Thursday, July 17, 2008

Why did Jesus die?

Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

Why would Jesus die for you and me? He was arrested and convicted, even though He broke no laws. He was whipped and beaten, spat on and ridiculed, and finally nailed to a cross to die a slow and agonizing death. The prophet Isaiah wrote about Him saying: He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not (Isaiah 53:3). God’s word also says that we were the reason He suffered all this; he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows (Isaiah 53:4). But why would He do this for us? Why would he do this for me? I’m certainly not worth His pain. I’m nothing special; I’ve broken His commandments more times than I can count. I have not loved the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, strength or mind; I have not loved my neighbor as myself. You haven’t either. So why did Jesus go through hell on earth on our behalf?

On Good Friday, Jesus was not the only man sentenced to death by crucifixion. Two criminals were executed on Calvary next to Jesus. One faced his death with an arrogant sneer, but the other regretted his crimes and turned to Jesus for mercy. Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:42-43). Jesus loved that man. Jesus was willing to die to rescue him from the hell his sin-filled life had earned for him. And when the criminal asked Jesus to look kindly on him, the Lord promised him a place in heaven.

That is why Jesus died for us. Not because we deserve it—the criminal admitted that his life only deserved death, yet Jesus loved him anyway. Jesus loves us all, and He was nailed to the cross to show us the full extent of His love. Only the death of God’s Son could make up for the sins of all humanity—the criminal’s sins, my sins, your sins. Isaiah wrote, he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all (Isaiah 53:5-6). Jesus suffered for our sins so we would not have to; Jesus died filthy with our sins so that His blood dripping from the cross can make us clean and beautiful in His sight. That is why He died for us.

Blog Top Sites
Blog Directory & Search engine
Blog Directory