Thursday, January 26, 2006

Are you an athiest?

They asked him, "Where is your father?" "You do not know me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew me, you would know my Father also" (John 8:19).

A young woman walked into a pastor’s office and said, "I’m an atheist." The pastor replied, "Well, that’s very interesting. Tell me what kind of God you don’t believe in." And for the next hour, she told him. When she had concluded, the pastor said, "You know, I must be an atheist too, because I don’t believe in that god either." Then he proceeded to tell her what kind of God we have.

We have a God who is discoverable; He is not hidden in obscure books of occult wisdom. God has made Himself known to us through the Bible, the widest read book in the world. We have a God who is contemporary; His wisdom is not old-fashioned or bound to one specific cultural background. There are practicing Christians in every culture and economic group in the world, from tribal hunters in Africa to farmers in Russia, from the destitute in India to the wealthy in the Arab states, from illiterate children in South America to college students in Japan. We have a God whose wisdom is a timeless anchor in a world of swiftly shifting moral standards, whose ways promote spiritual health, mental stability, and self-worth. His teachings offer the only true solution to the problems of the human condition—unconditional forgiveness of past mistakes and long-term commitment to the loving care of others, no matter the personal cost.

Most importantly, we have a God who gives us the answers to the fundamental questions of humanity: "Who am I? Do I have worth? What am I supposed to be doing with my life? What will happen to me when I die?" Who am I? I am a child of God, created by Him as a unique person, precious to Him. Do I have worth? I make constant mistakes, for which God should punish me. But God sent His Son Jesus to be punished in my place, so that I can be forgiven. That's how much I am worth—the life of God’s own Son. What will happen to me when I die? Jesus has promised that everyone who rejects the love of sinning and puts their trust in Him will get to live forever with Him in paradise. What am I supposed to be doing with my life? I am God’s living invitation by which others can meet Jesus and come into His blessings.

That’s the kind of God we have.

Blog Top Sites
Blog Directory & Search engine
Blog Directory