Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fear

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).


In the novel Dune, the lead character finds himself betrayed and barely escapes with his life. Stranded in a vast desert with hostile tribesmen his only hope for survival, our hero has good reason to be afraid. Ultimately, he falls back on a mantra taught to him by his mother: "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."


These words actually came from the pen of writer Frank Herbert. Although couched in mystical phrasing, they describe fear quite accurately. Fear does kill the mind; panic can make a fireman forget all his training and lead to a horrible demise. Fear is a little death that crushes our dreams and makes life seem pointless.


Sadly, fear is not easily vanquished. It’s hard to keep your focus when your heart is racing and your nerves are on edge. It’s hard to face your fear and soldier on, unflinching. It is much easier to face fear in the company of others. Parents find strength in making their children feel safe. A friend at your side gives reassurance that someone is there looking out for you. Having someone to talk to helps you work through the fear and lessen its hold on you.


But when your afraid, there is no better friend to have than Jesus. His time on earth was dangerous—several attempts were made on His life, many tried to ruin His reputation, and He was betrayed by some of His closest friends. When it came time to die on the cross for our sins, Jesus dreaded His approaching suffering so much that He sweated drops of blood as He prayed in Gethsemane. Jesus understands fear; Jesus understands how fear makes you feel. He will listen as you pray about what’s troubling you. Through the Bible, He offers words of comfort and reassurance. Best of all, He has the power to get you through any terrifying situation—Jesus is the Son of God, and He’s on your side. Don’t try to face fear on your own; cling to Jesus and He will calm your heart.

Blog Top Sites
Blog Directory & Search engine
Blog Directory