Monday, July 06, 2009

If your right hand causes you to sin...

If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell (Matthew 5:30).

"I see you have had the misfortune of losing one of your hands." The remark was addressed to man who was otherwise good looking and smartly dressed. The gentleman smiled, and thought for a moment before he replied: "Yes, or the good fortune. While a man can't exactly rejoice that he must go through life with only one hand, he must acknowledge that it is better than not going through life at all. The loss of that hand saved my life. It was this way: Some years ago I bought a large manufacturing plant, and while I knew nothing about machinery, it always was a wild fascination for me. In spite of the warnings of the work crew, I was always poking about into places that I had been told were dangerous. One day (I never knew just how it happened) my hand was caught in the machine, and in an instant I felt myself drawn into the very jaws of the machine that would have crushed my body into pulp. The foreman saw my danger; however, he knew that by the time the machinery could be stopped, it would be too late. Without the least hesitation he seized a great cleaver and, with an accurate blow, severed my hand from my arm. It was heroic treatment, and for awhile it looked as though I should die from the effects of it. You see that I did not."

Jesus said, If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell. When we hear these somewhat disturbing words, we assume that Jesus was exaggerating for effect. But the man who lost his hand in order to save his life shows us exactly what Jesus was getting at.

Throughout the Bible, God tells us of the danger that results from putting our hands where they don’t belong. Yet in spite of every warning, people keep getting caught in situations that are painful and won’t let them go. Jesus has the right of it: when sin grabs hold of you, drastic action is necessary or you will be lost. It can hurt terribly to cut sinful things out of your life, but with Jesus at your side tending the wounds, you will survive and eventually heal. Because of the trauma caused by sin, many folks end up permanently scarred. While they are grateful to have a new lease on life, they are a living testimony to how badly sin can injure the unwary.

Blog Top Sites
Blog Directory & Search engine
Blog Directory