Tuesday, February 17, 2009

God's help

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world (John 16:33).

I was in a car accident recently. Coming home after dark, I suddenly noticed two deer standing right at the edge of the road. Although they were standing still, my first instinct was to give them plenty of room. I swerved, the car went into a spin, and we hit the ditch. The car rolled and we found ourselves upside down, hanging from our seat belts.

My wife is fine. I have a broken collarbone, and the car was a total loss. Over all, we have much to be grateful for—the injuries could have been much worse. But I’m not telling you this to get your sympathy. I’d like to use this experience to make two points.

First point. Many concerned people have told me that I was lucky. But luck had nothing to do with it. First, we were driving a well-made car. Second, we were wearing our seat belts. But most important of all, God protected us. The car did not catch on fire. We were able to reach our cell phones and dial 911. A passing couple saw us and stopped to help. The first responders arrived before we got cold. In all these ways, God kept a bad situation from becoming a tragedy.

Still, having my left arm pretty much useless has been annoying. I’ve needed help with showering and dressing. Until recently, I wasn't able to drive. I have to be careful how I get up from a chair. Almost everything I do is harder and takes longer than it used to.

Which brings me to my second point. We take things too much for granted. We set our alarm clocks based on the assumption that there will be hot water for the shower, getting dressed won’t take much time, and the car won’t give us any problems. We don’t build room into our schedules to allow for problems and delays. When life doesn’t cooperate with our plans, we get annoyed—and a friend, spouse, or child often bears the brunt of our anger.

The thing is, God doesn’t guarantee you good health or smooth sailing. What He does guarantee is His help, if you are on friendly terms with His Son. Jesus said, In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. The Lord has protected me and continues to bless me; He loves you the same way.

Blog Top Sites
Blog Directory & Search engine
Blog Directory